If you’re looking for an excuse to get out of the city this summer, but you don’t have the time or money to plan a big getaway, here are a few worthwhile day-trips to help you make the most of the season.
Art and Culture
- Murals of Legal: Hidden in the small town of Legal, Alberta are over 35 murals that celebrate the heritage of the region. A must-see for any art lover.
Wilderness and Nature
- Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve: Though it’s easy for city dwellers to forget, the night sky is full of stars. Head out to the Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve on a clear night to see our galaxy in all of its original glory.
History and Heritage
- Leduc #1: If you’ve ever wondered how Alberta was transformed from a collection of farms into an economic power, the museum at Leduc #1 has got you covered. This site will show you how oil has shaped our province and our lives.
- Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village: And if you’ve ever wondered how Alberta’s collection of farms got started, the Ukrainian village can take you on the full pioneer experience. A true staple of the region’s historical centres.
- Alberta Beach: It wouldn’t be summer without a day at the beach. Grab your sunscreen and bathing suit and enjoy the healing waters of Lac St. Anne.
Stay tuned next week for Part 2 showcasing of a few more day trips out of St. Albert. Also, click here for other holiday choices.